What is microdermabrasion?
The quality and texture of your skin can change at any age, with bacteria, elasticity and environmental factors all playing a role. When you feel unconfident about the appearance of your skin, it’s only natural for your self-esteem to be affected.
At Skin Confidence Clinic in Brisbane, we use microdermabrasion to improve the texture and overall appearance of the skin by removing damaged cells.
With the help of a diamond-tipped head, our microdermabrasion device removes dead skin cells and impurities, while also increasing collagen production. Whether you want to treat acne, the common signs of ageing or simply want to keep your skin looking healthy, microdermabrasion produces long-lasting results.
Microdermabrasion treatments explained
Microdermabrasion sessions are completely non-invasive, which means no anaesthetic is required. This is often described as a gentle and invigorating treatment that leads to clearer, brighter skin.
While microdermabrasion might seem similar to a facial, it’s not exactly the same as a traditional facial. Active skincare products and advanced exfoliating technology is used to treat conditions such as acne, minimise pores and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
Along with the diamond-tipped head, one of the most unique features of microdermabrasion treatments is the vacuum suction. This helps extract debris from the pores and gets rid of dead skin cells that cause breakouts.
Treatments target the outer layers of the skin, and it almost feels like small grains of sand are being moved across your skin. This might be a strange sensation, but it’s certainly not painful.
The length of your microdermabrasion session is dependent on what you want to achieve – it can last anywhere from 20 – 50 minutes. We will assist you with a tailored treatment plan following your consultation. The number of treatments required will depend on the condition of your skin as well as your goals. Most patients schedule monthly treatments, particularly if they struggle with moderate to severe acne.
Since this is a non-invasive treatment, you are free to resume your normal routine directly after your appointment.
Get in touch
If you would like to come in for a consultation or find out more about a procedure, please fill in the form below and we will get back to you shortly.
Improve the texture and overall
appearance of the skin by
removing damaged cells.
Why consider microdermabrasion?
There are a number of reasons why you should consider this non-surgical treatment. These include the following:
- Reduces acne breakouts: By removing the dead skin cells and bacteria that clog your pores, you will experience fewer acne breakouts.
- Minimises pore size: Another effect of dead skin cells is that they tend to enlarge the pores on the face. Clearing away this debris helps tighten the pores.
- Brightens your complexion: When damaged skin cells aren’t present on the surface of your skin, they don’t dull your complexion.
- Improves skin tone: Lines, age spots and dry skin can all affect skin tone. Microdermabrasion can treat the effects of ageing and sun exposure.
- Provides deep cleansing: By clearing away skin congestion, dry skin, acne and signs of ageing are automatically reduced too.
- Rejuvenates your skin: Another benefit of clearing away congestion is that it improves lymphatic drainage and gives the skin a rejuvenated glow.
- Stimulates collagen production: Higher collagen levels help make your skin strong, supple, and younger-looking.
The final results of your treatment will be visible one to two months after.
What can be treated with microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is designed to treat a number of skin concerns, such as:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Acne and acne scarring
- Enlarged pores
- Stretch marks
Am I a good candidate for the treatment?
Microdermabrasion treatments are ideal for patients will superficial skin problems and looking for an alternative to more invasive treatments. The best way to determine whether microdermabrasion will be a suitable treatment for you is to schedule a consultation at Skin Confidence clinic.
Is microdermabrasion painful?
The level of discomfort associated with the treatment is very minimal. The procedure is completely non-invasive and uses a wand with a diamond-tipped head. You may feel a slight tugging of the skin during your treatment, but this is tolerable. Some patients report that the treatment feels like small grains of sand that are being moved across your skin.
Is microdermabrasion similar to a facial?
The treatment is not the same as a traditional facial. It makes use of more specific tools and advanced exfoliating technology to treat a broad range of skin concerns.
How long is the treatment time?
The length of your treatment session will depend on your skin concerns and desired results. It will also depend on the size and number of areas treated. In general, it can take 20 – 50 minutes to complete. Since the procedure is non-invasive, you are free to return to work and daily activities immediately after your appointment.
How many treatments will I need to achieve visible results?
We will determine the number of treatments you will need for your specific concerns during your consultation. To achieve your desired results, you may need monthly treatments.
Microdermabrasion side effects
Following your microdermabrasion treatments, you may experience some bruising, redness, swelling and skin sensitivity. These symptoms are typically mild and will resolve within a few days.
How will I care for the treated area?
Before you go home, we will provide you with aftercare instructions. This may include the following:
- Apply sunblock or wear protective clothing when going outdoors
- Apply ice packs on the treated area as necessary
- Avoid acne medications for one to two days
- Avoid alcoholic beverages
- Avoid facial waxing
- Avoid strenuous exercises and other activities that can cause sweating
- Do not scratch or pick the new skin
- Do not take blood-thinning pain relievers
- Do not use irritating skincare products
- Drink plenty of water
- Keep the new skin clean
- Use gentle moisturiser
How much does microdermabrasion cost in Brisbane?
At Skin Confidence, we treat every patient as the individual they are. The cost of your microdermabrasion treatments will depend on a number of factors, such as the severity of your skin concerns and the number of sessions required.
During your initial consultation at Skin Confidence Clinic, we will examine your skin and recommend a treatment plan. At this time, we will provide a detailed breakdown of the costs involved.